Which breakfast gives you the most ‘mileage out of your tank of fuel’? Have you noticed which foods make you feel nicely satisfied in your stomach, awake and bright in your mind, with a steady stream of energy and even mood for the next few hours? Rather than feeling sleepy, irritable, hungry an hour later, heavy and bloated!
One of my favourite breakfasts that ticks the boxes for me is an awesome smoothie. It has 4 key ingredients; fruit, protein, oil / fat and a superfood. Mix with water and Voila, ready to drink.
- Fruit– 1 cup of berries (fresh or frozen) or a banana are my favourites but you can use a cup of any fruit that blends easily.
- Protein– 3 dessertspoons or 1 scoop of protein powder. I use un-flavoured whey protein but you can use soy protein, rice protein, pea protein or hemp seed protein powder as preferred. Some people like 1 or 2 organic fresh raw eggs. Your choice.
- Oil or Fat– 2 tablespoons flaxseed oil but you could use an avocado or 3 teaspoons tahini paste (ground sesame seeds)
- Superfood– 1 teaspoon Spirulina, Barley grass or Wheat grass powder. These powders are rich in a wide variety of vitamins, minerals, trace elements and also contain some protein.
- Water– 1 cup
- Optional extras; 1 teaspoon cinnamon, which is great for evening out the glucose levels and a handful of green leaves such as spinach, yes really!
- Place fruit in blender/ liquidizer with ½ cup water. If you are adding green leaves, then put them in now.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add other ingredients and blend with remaining water for a few more seconds until all combined. When trying the smoothie for the first time, you may want to leave the superfood powder out. Taste without and then (hopefully!) enjoy the taste with the superfood powder added in. I find some powders are stronger than others in taste, so it’s worth experimenting with them.