I spent many sun kissed summers in Greece. During the day we would often see the older women of the village chatting together as they perched on the kitchen door step peeling potatoes. Sometimes the potatoes would be made into one of my favourite dishes, this Greek Style chicken. I love it even more that it is a ‘one pot’ meal and so easy to make.
To make it Low FODMAP friendly, just omit the garlic and use garlic infused olive oil.
- 8 chicken pieces e.g. 2 chicken breasts cut in half, 2 thighs and 2 drum sticks
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic peeled – leave out for Low FODMAP diet and use garlic infused olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1.25 kg waxy potatoes washed
- 1 lemon cut into 4 wedges
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Turn on the oven to 190 0 C.
- Place 2 tablespoons of oil in a large baking tray.
- Cut the potatoes into wedges. I usually make 4 wedges out of a small potato or 6 to 8 wedges out of a large potato.
- Scatter the potato wedges in the baking tray and turn in the oil. Sprinkle with oregano and a sprinkle of salt.
- Place the chicken pieces on top of the potatoes.
- Rub the lemon wedges over the chicken then place amongst the potatoes.
If using garlic cloves, rub them over the chicken and then place the cloves amongst the potatoes.
- Drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil over the chicken.
- Sprinkle the other 1 teaspoon of dried oregano over the chicken and a sprinkle of salt.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Then remove the foil and baste the chicken with the juices.
- Leave the foil off to allow the chicken to brown for the last 20 minutes of baking.
- Serve with steamed spinach and courgettes (zucchini) or with a green salad.
Leave a Reply