These chicken skewers have such a lovely marinade and with the fresh tastes of the salad are a lovely Summer dish or perfect for a barbecue. There is some chilli in both dishes but the larger red chillis I use here are not very hot. So you can always add more heat by using hotter chillis or chilli paste.
Peri Peri Chicken Skewers Ingredients- makes about 15 skewers
- 600 g chicken thighs
- 2 Red Chillis de seeded and finely chopped or 1/4 cup chilli paste
- 2 cloves of Garlic crushed
- 1 Lemon zest and juice
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 TBS Paprika
- 1 TBS dried Oregano
- 1 TBS Red wine vinegar
- 1 TBS honey
- 1 cup Fresh Parsley- curly variety is good for this roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil- I have Olive oil
Peri peri Chicken Skewers Method
- Blend all the ingredients except the chicken and oil in a blender. Once the parsley is finely chopped slowly add the oil blending until well combined.
- Cut each chicken thigh into 4 or 5 strips.
- Place chicken and marinade in a bowl and thoroughly mix. Place in the fridge for at least an hour up to overnight.
- If using bamboo sticks, soak first in hot water for 15 minutes to prevent them charring in the oven when cooking.
- Thread chicken onto bamboo sticks or metal skewers. Cook in a hot oven at about 180 degrees celcius or on a barbecue for about 15 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
Rice Noodle Salad Ingredients- serves 4 to 6
- 200 g Dried Rice Noodles- I use medium width
- 200 g Green Beans trimmed and sliced on an angle in half
- 1 head of Broccoli cut into florets and then slice each floret into 2 or 3 thinner florets
- 2 whole Bok Choy quartered
- 1 cup Mung Bean Sprouts
- 1 cup Fresh Mint leaves or Coriander leaves (Cilantro) finely sliced
- 1 TBS sesame oil or I used Olive oil
- 2 tsp sesame seeds lightly toasted in the oven- watch them they turn golden quickly!
- 1 fresh Red Chilli seeds removed and finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic crushed
- 2 lemons zest and juice or I used 2 TBS Rice wine vinegar
- 2 TBS Fish sauce
- 2 TBS Soy Sauce
- 2 TBS Sweet Chilli Sauce
Rice Noodle Salad Method
- Toast the sesame seeds and then mix all the ingredients together for the dressing in a jar and give a shake with the lid on!
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil. Add the green beans and broccoli and blanch for 2 minutes. In the last 30 seconds add the bok choy. Then if you can lift them out saving the water for the rice noodles to cook in, then do. Drain the vegetables in a colander and run cold water over for about 30 seconds then completely drain.
- Using the same boiling water or freshly boiling water, now add the Rice noodles and cook for 3 minutes. Then drain in a colander and run cold water over them for 30 seconds. Completely drain.
- To assemble the salad, place the rice noodles in a large dish and pour half the dressing over them and gently mix through. Then place the cooked vegetables, bean sprouts and mint or coriander (cilantro) leaves over the top. Add the rest of the dressing and then gently mix all together to serve.
- This salad is fine to refrigerate over night and have for lunch the following day.