A few months back in Summer I discovered this gorgeous salad. Herbs and toasted nuts just lift vegetables in such magical ways, which I adore. And the salad can keep well in the fridge so saves you on making lunch the next day- just add some feta cheese, tuna, salmon or smoked chicken.
Ingredients for salad
- 500g Asparagus cut in 2 diagonally
- 200 g Snow peas / Mangetout cut in half lengthways
- 400 g French green beans sliced thinly lengthways
- 1 cup (100g) Green peas
- 1/2 cup (60g) Hazelnuts toasted
- 1/2 cup Fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup Fresh chervil leaves or Italian parsley leaves
Ingredients for Dressing
- 2 TBS Olive oil
- 2 TBS Hazelnut oil
- 1 tsp Honey
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- Few grinds of black pepper
- Wash and cut all vegetables.
- Roughly chop the herbs.
- Toast the hazelnuts in a hot oven for a few minutes until slightly browned further, but not burnt!
- Place a large pan of water on to boil or a steamer over top if you have one.
- Add the asparagus to the boiling water or steamer and cook for 1 minute.
- Then add the snow peas mange tout, green beans and peas and cook for a further 30 seconds.
- Drain and pour cold water over the top for a minute and make sure well drained. I like to just cool them enough that they are ever so slightly warm as they absorb the dressing so much more than when they are very cold.
- To prepare the dressing: Mix all dressing ingredients in a small jar or bowl. Stir or shake well with the lid on. Taste for how much salt and pepper you like.
- Place the well drained green vegetables in a bowl, with the herbs and toasted hazelnuts. Pour over the dressing and gently mix.
- Serve as a side to a main meal such as with lamb cutlets or barbecued meats. Alternatively this is lovely for lunch with feta cheese, salmon, smoked chicken or other cold meats.
Leave a Reply